Strawberry-Rhubarb Flip Cake
My friend Dave always brought two strawberry rhubarb cakes to work to celebrate his birthday. He’d use up rhubarb growing in the yard and treat his co-workers. —Charlene Schwartz, Maple Plain, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 6 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 3 cups sliced fresh or frozen strawberries, thawed
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- Sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, mix brown sugar and tapioca. Add rhubarb and strawberries; toss to coat. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer rhubarb mixture to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; pour batter over top. Bake 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Invert each piece onto a serving plate. If desired, serve with whipped cream or ice cream.