Rhubarb Cheesecake Squares
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min. + chilling
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg, room temperature, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, mix flour, oats and brown sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Reserve 1 cup mixture for topping. Press remaining mixture onto bottom of a greased 9-in. square baking pan.
- For filling, beat cream cheese, sugar, salt and spices until smooth. Add egg and vanilla; beat on low speed just until combined. Fold in rhubarb. Spread over crust. Sprinkle with topping.
- Bake until golden brown and filling is set, about 40 minutes. Cool on a wire rack 1 hour. Refrigerate, covered, until cold, about 2 hours. Cut into squares.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 square: 216 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 171mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Jun 29, 2020
I doubled the rhubarb because I love a lot of fruit. It was still too sweet for me so next time I will half the sugar, I think that will make it perfect! Overall I'm so glad I found this recipe. The bottom crust was perfect, and the topping crunchy; just too sweet as listed.
May 27, 2020
These were delicious and refreshing. The entire pan disappeared in less than 24 hours!
Apr 24, 2020
This was a different but delicious cheesecake. I used only a scant amount of nutmeg and a scant measurement of the cinnamon. I used frozen rhubarb that I let thaw and then I drained the liquid off. I did not press or squeeze it and it worked just fine. I will be making this again for sure. I also think that 12 servings is more reasonable.
Apr 9, 2020
I Just made these yesterday using frozen rhubarb and they are really awesome! Crunchy crust and tart filling to compliment the sweet topping. I tossed some blueberries on the crust before adding the filling. So I ultimately made Blu-Barb Bars!
Jul 28, 2019
I made these today-- didn't change a thing---delicious and a big hit !
Jul 16, 2019
I followed this recipe exactly as written, and they turned out well. I loved them! They weren't the first dessert to go off the tray at my gathering, but once people tried them, they disappeared.
Jun 9, 2019
This dessert is wonderful! I mixed strawberries and rhubarb
May 15, 2018
My family loved these bars!
Sep 24, 2014
did not like these squares. mushy and all around favour was not worth the workwill not make again
Jun 7, 2013
Everyone loved these bars. I am baking them this morning as the first batch is gone.