Potluck Banana Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1 cup sour cream
- COFFEE FROSTING:
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 2 to 3 tablespoons whole milk
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with bananas and sour cream, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat butter and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Dissolve coffee granules in milk; add to butter mixture and beat until smooth. Spread over cake.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 344 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 368mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Jun 30, 2019
Is there a miss print on the butter for the frosting? Is 1 and 1/3 Cup butter more like it?
Dec 13, 2018
I have made this recipe so many times that I have lost count. It is my grandson's absolutely favorite cake and we don't even frost it ,it is that good.
Nov 7, 2018
Wonderful. Wouldn't change a thing!
Oct 9, 2018
I have made this lots of time
May 17, 2018
Excellent cake recipe. Moist and dense which compliments the banana flavor nicely. I've made this recipe so many times and it is always a favorite with family and friends. Excellent with a basic cream cheese frosting too (actually my preferred frosting on this cake as some people don't care for coffee). I've also substituted buttermilk for the sour cream when I ran out of it while making this and didn't want to go to the store--worked great. If you are a fan of banana bread, you will love this cake. I think it tastes even better a day or two after you've made it and it has had a chance to deepen the flavor.
Feb 5, 2018
Made recipe exactly as written, except just used whipped cream cheese frosting. It was a hit!
Nov 30, 2017
Mine fell too. I read that it could be due to a lack of moisture. I used , as always, a fresh box of baking soda so that was not the reason. While I was making it I kept saying it neeeded baking powder. That could be the reason too but I’m inclined to say it was lack of moisture. I won’t make this again. I’m really surprised because the recipes from taste of Home are usually great.
Nov 10, 2017
Made this last week for my boyfriend's birthday (he loves banana) and he loved this cake! His had a piece and loved it too! I followed the recipe no changes :)
Oct 8, 2017
TOTAL FLOP. Came out weighing as much as a heavy pound cake. Read reviews first- followed special comments left to help those who failed with this cake. I wanted this to be perfect as we love banana anything. I made this a few months back and it was a lot of work for a cake that went in the trash! Only thing I didn't do was to use Cake flour and I didn't use totally black bananas - short of that - I did nothing to cause this flop. So disappointed and frustrated.
Sep 23, 2017
I just made this for the first time and it is absolutely delicious. It was very easy to make and the directions were easy to follow.