Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in pecans. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Roll into 1-in. balls and place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes or until set. Roll warm cookies in additional confectioners' sugar; cool completely on wire racks. Roll cooled cookies again in confectioners' sugar.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 each: 73 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 39mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 23, 2019
Favorite Christmas cookie to make each year. Everyone loves them!
Dec 19, 2019
Delicious! I took a reviewer's advice and toasted the pecans slightly. Also can we all agree Beverly "I'm not giving away my secret to making this cookie even more delicious" is the worst kind of commenter ever? Literally created an account just to call her out.
Dec 10, 2019
Why do ALL my reviews get cut in half?? Does this happen to anyone else? I reviewed these cookies 3 - THREE times
Dec 7, 2019
These are great, but for a truly nutty flavor, toast the nuts in a tablespoon of butter before using. Stir in a small skillet until the butter browns and the nuts are very fragrant. Cool completely before adding to the dough. I don't bother with adjusting the dough butter as I usually double the recipe. These never last long!
Dec 7, 2019
Great recipe,just added a tad more butter!!!!!
Dec 2, 2019
Can't give a review but have a question. What can I substitute for wheat flour and butter please.
Dec 1, 2019
My Mother made these cookies for years at Christmas in OntRio, Canada. We called them snowballs. Still a fave today.
Nov 24, 2019
These were perfect and delicious! Nothing you add/change can make them any better. My go-to cookie and not only for the holidays!
Oct 22, 2019
These shortbread cookies are wonderful old recipe! They have been given different names over the years I have been making them,, but whatever they are called, they have been my family's most asked for Christmas cookie for many, many years! I have made one change in this original recipe, but I'm not giving away my secret to making this cookie unique and even more melt-in your-mouth delicious.
Apr 1, 2019
I love the buttery taste of these and how they pretty much melt in your mouth. I'll be making them again.