Banana Split Dessert
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + freezing
- 3-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 2/3 cup butter, melted
- 4 to 5 medium bananas
- 1/2 gallon Neapolitan ice cream (block carton)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup (6 ounces) chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- In a small bowl, combine crumbs and melted butter. Set aside 1/2 cup; press remaining crumbs into a 15x10x1-in. pan. Slice bananas widthwise and layer over crust. Cut ice cream widthwise into 10 slices; place over bananas. Spread edges of ice cream slices to cover banana and form a smooth layer. Sprinkle with nuts. Cover and freeze until firm.
- In a large saucepan, melt chocolate chips and butter; stir until smooth. Pour over ice cream; freeze until firm.
- In a large bowl, whip cream until stiff peaks form; spread over chocolate layer. Top with reserved crumbs. Store in freezer (will keep for several weeks). Remove from freezer about 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 406 calories, 26g fat (14g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 204mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 25, 2016
I've never written a negative review about any recipe; I must be very lucky and have managed to select recipes that my family and I like. This one as pretty as the photo is, it's just not tasty at all. It's too time consuming to make, it's hard to cut when ready, and it's even harder to eat. The top layer of whipping creme is disgusting, (should have used cool whip (like another reviewer) there's no sweetness to that top layer at all.... I would never make this again even if I had used whipped creme because, it wouldn't have altered the other negatives about this recipe... Sorry my opinion, I see others liked it so?.....
May 31, 2016
Many better tasting banana split desserts that don't require all this fuss. Sorry. Not a keeper for me.
May 1, 2016
I made this years ago when we had large parties. It is absolutely wonderful! I will have to make it again because now I am very hungry for it!! I am so glad to see it again and saved it in my recipe box. I have always treasured this recipe.
Mar 15, 2014
Best desert ever. I have made it with sugar-free ice cream and sugar free fudge topping. It is also excellent. We were making this in the 7-"s in WI. I made it today. Enjoy!
Jul 6, 2009
Although there are several steps to preparing this dessert, it is well worth the effort. I used Cool Whip instead of the heavy whipping cream. It is easy to put together and sooo delicious!!!