Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 8 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup maraschino cherries, chopped
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe banana (about 1 medium)
- 1/3 cup strawberry preserves
- 1 large egg, room temperature, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup chopped salted peanuts
- Optional: Sliced bananas and additional chopped maraschino cherries
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a microwave, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar on high speed 10 minutes. Stir in vanilla and chocolate mixture. Gradually stir in flour. Fold in cherries. Spread into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan.
- For topping, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Beat in mashed banana and preserves. Add egg; beat on low speed just until blended. Spread over brownie batter; sprinkle with peanuts.
- Bake until topping is set and a toothpick inserted in brownie portion comes out mostly clean, 40-45 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Cut into bars. If desired, serve bars topped with banana slices and additional cherries. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 brownie: 262 calories, 16g fat (9g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 101mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Feb 20, 2019
Sorry, but this by no means even comes close to tasting like a banana split. All I could taste was the cherries. Waste of money, time and I took it to work and everyone threw them out. First of all they take longer than what they say to bake and they don't advise you that just because it looks done, and it passes the toothpick test, does not mean they are done. You need to bake longer and cover, oh, never mind. Not worth trying to fix. BLAH!
Jun 16, 2018
cool dessert, something different, summery. Ice cream definitely adds to the taste. I'd make it again.
Aug 3, 2016
This recipe looked amazing so I gave it a whirl. I have to agree with another reviewer - the brownie base is delicious, but nobody in my family cared for the topping. My brother in law suggested adding ice cream would bring it all together, and I agree, but unfortunately we didn't have any. I think I would give this another chance by adding some ice cream when serving!
Jun 20, 2016
The brownie base of this recipe is wonderful and I will use it as my "go-to" recipe for brownies using unsweetened chocolate However, neither my family nor I cared for the topping--just a personal preference. But I appreciate the delicious brownie recipe I discovered within this recipe.
May 10, 2016
Just perfect as is.
Oct 19, 2015
This is a rich and tasty dessert. The salted peanuts absolutely make it! I served it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Decadent!
May 25, 2015
I sampled brownies-I found them tobe moist! It IS an interesting brownie recipe! delowenstein