Banana Skillet Upside-Down Cake
My grandmother gave me my first cast iron skillet, and I've been cooking and baking with it ever since. Sometimes I add drained maraschino cherries to this banana skillet dessert and serve it with a ice cream. —Terri Merritts, Nashville, Tennessee
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake 35 min.
- 1 package (14 ounces) banana quick bread and muffin mix
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 medium bananas, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 375°. Prepare banana bread batter according to package directions; stir in walnuts.
- In a 10-in. ovenproof skillet, melt butter over medium heat; stir in brown sugar until dissolved. Add lemon juice; cook and stir until slightly thickened, 2-3 minutes longer. Remove from heat. Arrange bananas in a single layer over brown sugar mixture; sprinkle with coconut.
- Spoon prepared batter over coconut. Bake until dark golden and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 554 calories, 22g fat (10g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 459mg sodium, 82g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Banana Fana Skillet Upside Down Cake in Simple & Delicious April/May 2015