Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 ounces vanilla wafers (about 60 cookies), divided
- 4 large ripe bananas, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- In a large saucepan, mix sugar, flour and salt. Whisk in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into eggs; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla. Cool 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In an ungreased 8-in. square baking dish, layer 25 vanilla wafers, half of the banana slices and half of the pudding. Repeat layers.
- Press plastic wrap onto surface of pudding. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight. Just before serving, remove wrap; crush remaining wafers and sprinkle over top.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 302 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 206mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Jan 2, 2020
I love alot of Taste of Home recipes but this one not so much. The pudding needed much more sugar. It tasted very bland. I will use corn starch instead of flour. The mixture didn't thicken well at all with the flour. I was very disappointed with this receipe as was my family. I may try it again but I highly doubt it. Almost tasteless.
Dec 17, 2019
@manorman, Sorry, but there's NO WAY top compare boxed pudding to homemade pudding and call it better .... that's ridiculous, but you keep on eating chemically laden boxed pudding if you want. As for me, I'll not only follow this recipe, but make homemade vanilla wafers too, it's SO yum!
Sep 8, 2019
I made this recipe it was delicious.! It was only my second time trying and I didn’t wonderful thanks for the help
Sep 3, 2019
My mom always made her delicious banana pudding with graham crackers....layering the crackers where this recipe is layering the wafers. Much better flavor to the pudding with the grahams! She also used the cook and serve boxed vanilla pudding. As you know we like to follow our moms. I'm 80 years old and still like my moms recipes. :)
Jun 25, 2019
I made this Banana Pudding without any changes and it was creamy and delicious! Thank you for sharing your recipe, Stephanie, and thank you to your son, Lance Corporal Eric Harris, for his service to our country.
Jun 23, 2019
This recipe is garbage. If you bring the pudding to a boil, as instructed *twice*, it will separate. I followed this recipe before looking at recipes posted by real chefs and, as should have been expected, the pudding separated. Total waste of time - threw away.
Mar 12, 2019
I made my own personal dish of this and it was AMAZINGGGGG!!!! No one eats banana pudding but me and its great to have a recipe to go to when I cant get to a store.
Dec 1, 2018
Classic Southern recipe for a much beloved dish that has 1 ingredient missing from most found today.................The LOVE of a lady that takes the time to make the Vanilla Pudding from scratch instead of a box. Your son is a very lucky Devil Dog to have a Mom like you. Thank you from our Veterans and their families to both of you.
Dec 1, 2018
Great way to make a quick dessert with or without Bananas. Nice for parfaits too . I like to add 2 teaspoons of butter to the hot pudding when I take it off the heat. A keeper recipe to have on hand.
Jul 10, 2018
I made this for a church picnic and everyone loved it. I didn't come home with any leftovers. Will make again, so easy and delicious.