Banana Cream Pie
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 large egg yolks, room temperature, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 medium, firm bananas
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- Optional: Whipped cream and additional sliced bananas
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, flour and salt; stir in milk and mix well. Cook over medium-high heat until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount into egg yolks; return all to saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes; remove from the heat. Add butter and vanilla; cool slightly.
- Slice the bananas into pastry shell; pour filling over top. Cool on wire rack for 1 hour. Store in the refrigerator. If desired, before serving, garnish with whipped cream and bananas.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 338 calories, 14g fat (7g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 236mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Apr 18, 2019
This was my first attempt at "real" banana cream pie and this recipe made it easy to have a successful first try! So delicious!!
Apr 6, 2019
Easy to make and delicious. Look forward to sharing for a potluck.
Feb 26, 2019
Very good and very easy. Stuck to the recipe and made it into some delicious mini dessert pies.
Jan 26, 2019
Classic Comfort. Delicious!
Jul 28, 2018
My family loved this! It reminds me of the Banana Cream Pie my mother used to make. Will definitely make this again!
Apr 8, 2018
Great classic pie! This is my go to recipe.
Apr 2, 2018
Excellent pie! I didn't change a thing on the recipe, and the consistency came out perfect. No corn starch necessary!
Mar 20, 2018
If you don’t eat the pie up in one day, how can you stop the bananas from going brown. Anyone! Thx
Feb 23, 2018
My granddaughter wanted a good recipe for banana cream pie to make for some people at work and I gave her this one. Not too sweet and tastes great!! Definitely a keeper.
Dec 7, 2017
My adult son requested a banana cream pie for his birthday and this one didn't disappoint. Easy recipe with simple ingredients. It was rich and tasted great. :)