Banana Cream Pie with Cake Mix Crust
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size), divided
- 1 large egg, room temperature, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened and divided
- 1 cup cold 2% milk
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant banana cream pudding mix
- 1 medium banana, sliced
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed and divided
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- Additional sliced ripe banana
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9-in. pie plate. Stir together 1-3/4 cups cake mix, egg and 1 tablespoon butter until combined. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until a smooth dough forms. Roll dough to fit prepared pie plate. Flute edge. Prick bottom several times with a fork. Bake until golden brown, 12-15 minutes. Cool crust in pan on a wire rack.
- Whisk milk and pudding mix 2 minutes. Fold in banana and 1 cup whipped topping. Transfer to cooled crust. Top with remaining whipped topping. Refrigerate at least 3 hours.
- Meanwhile, mix remaining cake mix, peanut butter and remaining butter until crumbly. Transfer to a parchment-lined rimmed baking pan. Bake until golden brown, 14-18 minutes, stirring once. Cool completely.
- Top pie with additional sliced banana and some of the crumb topping (save additional crumb topping for another use).
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 394 calories, 16g fat (8g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 526mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Oct 21, 2018
Made this for my husband and his family for sweetest day and while the crust is not a flakey crust typical in pie my family and I loved the slightly chewy texture the cake mix adds. It was easy to put together using staples I already add. The best part was the peanut butter topping which a complimented to this delicious pie perfectly! Would definitely make again.
May 28, 2018
The banana cream part of the recipe was tasty but the crust was different. The pie almost had a banana moon pie flavor but the crust was too spongy to pull it off. I gave it 2 stars because you can still eat the filling and if you drag the spoon lightly along the crust while scooping out the filling, you definitely get that moon pie taste. I was glad I made it though because now I know what a cake mix pie crust is like. I also found the process of making the crust interesting.
Sep 25, 2017
To die for. This was so amazingly good!